for his seventy-plus years of service to patriotic organizations and causes
all over the country. A humble man without a political bone in his body,
he has never spoken out before about a government official, until now.
He dictated this letter to a friend, signed it and mailed it to the president.
Dear President Obama,
My name is Harold Estes, approaching 95 on December 13 of this year. People meeting me for the first time don't believe my age because I remain wrinkle free and pretty much mentally alert.I enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1934 and served proudly before, during and after WW II retiring as a Master Chief Bos'n Mate. Now I live in a "rest home" located on the western end of Pearl Harbor, allowing me to keep alive the memories of 23 years of service to my country.One of the benefits of my age, perhaps the only one, is to speak my mind, blunt and direct even to the head man.
So here goes.
I am amazed, angry and determined not to see my country die before I do, but you seem hell bent not to grant me that wish.I can't figure out what country you are the president of.
You fly around the world telling our friends and enemies despicable lies like:
" We're no longer a Christian nation"
" America is arrogant" - (Your wife even announced to the world,"America is mean-spirited. " Please tell her to try preaching that nonsense to 23 generations of our war dead buried all over the globe who died for no other reason than to free a whole lot of strangers from tyranny and hopelessness.)
I'd say shame on the both of you, but I don't think you like America, nor do I see an ounce of gratefulness in anything you do, for the obvious gifts this country has given you. To be without shame or gratefulness is a dangerous thing for a man sitting in the White House. After 9/11 you said," America hasn't lived up to her ideals."
Which ones did you mean? Was it the notion of personal liberty that 11,000 farmers and shopkeepers died for to win independence from the British? Or maybe the ideal that no man should be a slave to another man, that 500,000 men died for in the Civil War? I hope you didn't mean the ideal 470,000 fathers, brothers, husbands, and a lot of fellas I knew personally died for in WWII, because we felt real strongly about not letting any nation push us around, because we stand for freedom. I don't think you mean the ideal that says equality is better than discrimination. You know the one that a whole lot of white people understood when they helped to get you elected. Take a little advice from a very old geezer, young man. Shape up and start acting like an American. If you don't, I'll do what I can to see you get shipped out of that fancy rental on Pennsylvania Avenue. You were elected to lead not to bow, apologize and kiss the hands of murderers and corrupt leaders who still treat their people like slaves. And just who do you think you are telling the American people not to jump to conclusions and condemn that Muslim major who killed 13 of his fellow soldiers and wounded dozens more. You mean you don't want us to do what you did when that white cop used force to subdue that black college professor in Massachusetts, who was putting up a fight? You don't mind offending the police calling them stupid but you don't want us to offend Muslim fanatics by calling them what they are, terrorists. One more thing. I realize you never served in the military and never had to defend your country with your life, but you're the Commander-in-Chief now, son. Do your job. When your battle-hardened field General asks you for 40,000 more troops to complete the mission, give them to him. But if you're not in this fight to win, then get out. The life of one American soldier is not worth the best political strategy you're thinking of. You could be our greatest president because you face the greatest challenge ever presented to any president. You're not going to restore American greatness by bringing back our bloated economy. That's not our greatest threat. Losing the heart and soul of who we are as Americans is our big fight now. And I sure as hell don't want to think my president is the enemy in this final battle.
1. We are not a Christian nation. Go look up quotes from the founding fathers. They didn't favor any organized religion and had especially nice (cough) things to say about Christianity. If you want to pull the well its "Christian" morals card out, look up Islamic or Jewish or even Pagan morals and they all follow the basic ideas. No we are not a Christian nation. We are a nation of a lot of religions that like to tease one another.
2. America is arrogant. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard someone say "America is the best nation in the world!" who have never even crossed a border much less visited Europe, Asia, or ANYWHERE ELSE! I hope to travel A LOT before I even stoop to the level of making such an arrogant statement.
3. America is mean spirited, otherwise we would not have all these assholes on "reality" tv that have such great ratings. We also love to see someone tortured pretty much, remember Al from Married with Children? Shows that help people or are "nice" in nature do not have good ratings. When "Home Made Simple" or "Antiques Road Show" gets the same amount of ratings or publicity as "John and Kate plus 8" or any of the Housewives shows I will retract this comment.
4. Why does someone who shot a gun automatically think they know whats best for the nation? Someone in one of my classes the other day was bitching about Obama not having military experience...but forgot he went to and Ivy league school on a scholarship (which is not easy to get to say the least). He took advice from his top military advisors and agreed to send 30k troops and to ask other nations for the last 10k, so in case you missed it on the news (many countries are volunteering troops to add up to the other 10k) he did do what his advisor told him, but not exactly word for word.
5. We should not jump to conclusions that just because someone is Muslim that does not mean they are an Islamic extremeist. If this were allowed to happen in government in any level they would have all the jails full of Muslims who did nothing. Yes a Muslim did kill 13 people, but that does not mean he was linked to Alkida (spelling?). To automatically assume so is ignorant and actually distracts from the reason it happened. After 9/11 he was supposedly harassed constantly by cooworkers. If we were not ignorant enough to assume all Muslims were terrorists maybe the Fort Hood tragedy would not have happened.
Urgh this pisses me off.
5. Like all businesses not in the dark ages, the military and its policies have changed rapidly since you were in so any "military experience" you have is non-related to today. He enlisted in 1934 and served 23 years which means he left in 1957 which is over 50 years ago! Tell me Mr. Veteran did you even serve with "negros" or was the military letting them serve you dinner at this point? I am assuming because you have had nothing to say to any prior president that this might be your motive to complain.
Old people, you had your chance and your time is over. Go watch wheel of fortune and try not to wet your diaper....
If you don't like the way we run things you won't have to deal with it for very long.